Sunday 7 September 2008

Sing a song of confidence!

.
Two songs keep popping up these days, here are the lyrics:
.
"Word Of God Speak"
.
I'm finding myself at a loss for words
And the funny thing is it's okay
The last thing I need is to be heard
But to hear what You would say
.
Word of God speak
Would You pour down like rain
Washing my eyes to see
Your majesty
To be still and know
That You're in this place
Please let me stay and rest
In Your holiness
Word of God speak
.
I'm finding myself in the midst of You
Beyond the music, beyond the noise
All that I need is to be with You
And in the quiet hear Your voice
.
I'm finding myself at a loss for words
And the funny thing is it's okay
.
and
.
"Not To Us"
.
The cross before me the world behind
No turning back, raise the banner high
It’s not for me, it’s all for You
Let the heavens shake and split the sky
Let the people clap their hands and cry
It’s not for us, it’s all for You
.
Not to us, but to Your Name be the glory
Not to us, but to Your Name be the glory
.
Our hearts unfold before Your throne
The only place for those who know
It’s not for us, It’s all for You
.
Send Your holy fire on this offering
Let our worship burn for the world to see
It’s not for us, it’s all for You
.
The earth is shaking, the mountains shouting
It’s all for You
The waves are crashing, the sun is raging
It’s all for You
The universe spinning and singing
It’s all for You
The children dancing, dancing, dancing
It’s all for You, it’s all for You
.
Now, I know that a number of you guys reading this, won't have listened to much contemporary Christian music, let alone these songs. But, most people have songs that crop up just at the right time. They start playing on the radio, or the person you sit beside on the bus or train has it playing loudly on their iPod, or the person in the check-out queue at the shop is humming it! Well, being in Nashville - home of contemporary Christian music, I was driving along in my wee car and these were the songs that came on. And, it was just the right timing!
.
Lately, I have been just,ever so slightly, consumed with visa issues. Just worry, really - but you know the way worry starts small and manages to pervade everything that you do. Well, having been fairly familiar with worry - I realised that it would only be a matter of time before I wouldn't be able to suppress my worry about my visa any longer and it would begin to affect my work and relationships. After all, Satan would convince me that I didn't need to invest in people or preparation for work because I would have to leave the States to go back home after Christmas.
.
Well, a mentor said to me - what you need is a serenity prayer - and just give everything over to God. After all, he has looked after you this far (all the way across the Atlantic in fact). This is the serenity prayer, maybe you could use it to...
.
God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.
The courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. Amen!
.
So, between the songs and a short and simple prayer to my Father who loves me, my perspective has been adjusted and my visa, just like it has been the whole entire time, is in God's hands.
.
In fact, one day after voicing my concerns with my mentor - God in his graciousness, cleared a load of stuff up and at least I know what category of visa and my extension that I'm going to apply for now.
.
You know, God isn't surprised when we worry, but really the only one that we need to be confident in, and never worry is God, Father, Son and Holy Spirit. What a team! Sing a song of serenity and confidence!
.

4 comments:

B His Girl said...

Hi Emma,

I am in a Bible Study by Beth Moore this fall. It is called Stepping Up. It is based on Psalms 120-134, the Psalms of Ascent. The songs were sung on the Pilgrimage to the three great Feasts. You might want to start reading the first ones. They were on a journey much like yours and mine. There were mountains to climb, enemies along the way. The beautiful part is while they talked to God(also known as crying out to Him) about their situations, they were focused on Him. They speak with such confidence in God...trusting Him. You are stepping up and out in new things. Don't let the enemy side track your focus. Give everything you have every day. Don't hold back regardless of what happens with your visa. God has put you here today...none of us know what tomorrow holds. The Psalms were their song. You might want to add these to your ipod. :)
Keep walking and singing!!!!

Sarah Dean said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sarah Dean said...

Hey love,
I was thinking of you stateside this week when I've been having my own visa and US move related worries. So it was a blessing to ME to read this...thank you for this reminder of what God calls us to do, how he provides calm when we seek it.
Something for you to read

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/columnists/guest_contributors/article4761159.ece

Provides something to think about when we consider how we are viewed by non-Christians. Don't know why it sprang to mind but I think you'll be interested!
~Sarah

Sarah Dean said...

Aw the link is not working! But it's by Jamie Whyte, published on Sept 16th in The Times online: "I don't believe that believers believe"; if you wanna go look it up :)