Sunday 12 April 2009

O uncertainty where is your victory?

I think that it’s only human to go through periods of frustration, uncertainty and anxiety. And, most of us will admit to a spot of impatience at such times. We all react in different ways – some bottle up their feelings and trudge on despite their unhappiness, others will make sure that everyone knows what a hard time they’re going through. I think I go through both of those on a daily basis.
.
I guess I’m experiencing some uncertainty at the moment. Having recently graduated, my thoughts turned to the future (which for a student is the next 12 months - little steps at a time). As a Christian I believe that God is in control; that He has a master plan, even though I can’t see how it’s all going to end up.

.
But how easy is it really to take hope from that truth when you’re in the midst of frustration and things aren’t working out the way that you’d planned. I know that when I wasn’t able to return to study and work in America after Christmas God’s purpose was the last think I could see. And yet, this isn’t a new story. Just imagine the hopelessness that those who loved Jesus would have felt during the final week of his life leading up to his crucifixion.

.
I worry about God’s plan for my life, about the next step along the way, where I’ll be and what I’ll be doing. And I rarely react towards the uncertainty in a Christian-like manner – it generally involves lashing out at those who are nearest. But, the Bible is full of people who were quick-tempered and disappointed; many wrote psalms, others prayed to God about their heartache and anger and our hymn books are full of writers inspired by life’s ups and downs.
.

The American hymn writer Adelaide Pollard, lived at the turn of the century and believed that God wanted her in Africa as a missionary. However, she couldn’t raise the funds needs to go. In an uncertain state of mind, she attended a prayer meeting where she heard an elderly women pray. “It’s all right, Lord. It doesn’t matter what you bring into our lives, just have your own way with us.” At home that night, much encouraged, she wrote "Have thine own way with me" based on Isaiah 64.
.
Verse 4 says that, “Since ancient times no one has heard, no ear has perceived, no eye has seen any God besides you, who acts on behalf of those who wait for him.” Verse 8 reminds us that, “O LORD, you are our Father. We are the clay, you are the potter; we are all the work of your hand.” Adelaide Pollard had to be reminded, and often so do we – and what better time than at Easter – that God is alive and at work in our lives and in the world today. Whatever the situation we find ourselves, whether joblessness, bereavement, ill-health or uncertainty God desires to have his way with us. Remind with Him and He will remain with us.

No comments: