Friday 11 July 2008

An adventure only beginning

~
My big adventure in the States, to begin this 2 year youth ministry internship in Nashville on the 1st August 2008, kicks off at 2pm on Tuesday 15th July from Dublin airport. This internship involves placement at the Spring Hill campus of Brentwood United Methodist Church under the supervision of Rev. Mack Strange. It is Mack who is completely sorting me out with transport and organising so much regarding health and car insurance.
~
But first, I'm travelling with Auntie Gladys to Boston to see family and then to New York City to take in some sights before going to Nashville on Wednesday 23rd July. Acclimatising is important - soaking in the culture, but gently - East Coast first then the hardcore South. If anyone has any suggestions of what sights and sounds to take in in 3 or 4 days in either places, let me know! Survival tips are also invited.
~
I'm really looking forward to getting stuck into this internship, but as with every big decision and change in life, it will be bitter-sweet. Leaving friends and family at home is going to be hard. Leaving St Andrews was difficult enough and although I can pretend to not be worried about home-sickness, I'd be lying to myself and others. There's lots of things I'll miss, lots of people most importantly - but God is faithful, I need only to trust in him, it's hard though!
~
Thank-you so much for all your support, advice and prayers thus far – without them I may never have got to this point. God has truly answered them and blessed me through you.
~

3 comments:

arlene said...

Emma you are an amazing woman and we know there are good things in store for you, loads of love and a big hug Peter and Arlene x

Unknown said...

Hey Emma,

You'll be heading over to the US tomorrow, I hope that the flight is smooth and that the immigration people are friendly to you on your first visit!

I am rather jealous of you getting to see the sights of Boston and New York, but can not imagine the strength you have to carry on with a 2 year placement away from home. Wishing you the very best.

Some things I reckon are a must in Boston have to be Faneuil Hall, Boston Common, the Duck Tours outside of the Providential Centre, the Isabella Stewart Gallery and the Museum of Fine Arts, to name but a few! Boston is such a wonderful city to just wander around, so enjoy it!

God Bless,
Kat xxx

nige said...

Hi You should be safely with Mack, Sharon and family. Give them our love. God richest blessings on your studies and work. You are certainly part of the Body of Christ.